Oct 6 to 10
Discuss Sociological concepts & ideas, email each other answers to questions from SG etc.
What we should get out of Chapter 1 of the SG
1. How to approach studying sociology
2. What sociology is.
3. The difference between sociology and commonsense.
4. What is meant by Sociological thinking.
5. The relationship between the individual and society.
6. Socialization and identity formation.
1. How to study sociology, what is meant by active learning, and what examiners are looking for.
2. What sociologists study.
3. Some of the key ways that sociology gives us insights that go beyond commonsense understanding.
4. What is meant by thinking sociologically and soiologists' interest in social order, social change and the relationship between the individual and society.
5. How our identities arise from social relationships.
6. What sociologists mean by socialization and identity, and how Parsons and Mead put forward different explanations of these processes.